It gives me great pleasure to introduce you to our new Conveners Group for the Space, Surveying and Spatial Diversity Leadership Network (SSS-DLN):
- Amelia Davies, Director Land Information & Spatial Services, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (Vic)
- Kellie Dean, Principal Surveyor, Spiire
- Matt Duckham, A/Dean STEMM Diversity and Inclusion, RMIT University
- Maurits van der Vlugt, Director, Mercury Project Solutions
- Roshni Sharma, Project Manager and Analyst, FrontierSI
The new SSS-DLN Convener Group bring to the table an impressive and diverse range of background disciplines and a wealth of experiences and knowledge to help guide the direction and strategic priorities for the network and I’m sure you will join me in thanking them for their commitment to greater diversity and more inclusive workplaces for our sectors.
I’d like to take the opportunity to thank Eva Rodriguez-Rodriguez, outgoing convener, for her contribution to the SSS-DLN since it was formed in 2018. Eva has put in a lot of personal time and effort to promote the work of the SSS-DLN and should be very proud of the in-roads we have made, particularly her advocacy for greater inclusion of the space sector in this work. We wish Eva all the best for the impending arrival of her second baby and this important next chapter in her life.
I’m also pleased to announce three independent representatives from SSS-DLN who will be joining Michelle Blicavs, Consulting Surveyors National, Jane Albiston, Survey and Spatial New Zealand, Tony Wheeler, Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute, Jacinta Burns, SIBA/GITA and myself (representing ANZLIC) to take forward development of a trans-Tasman survey that measures diversity and inclusion within our sectors and a public report that provides an evidence base for businesses and individuals within the industry to establish their own cases for diversifying their workforce:
- Nicholas Brown, Director of National Geodesy at Geoscience Australia (Independent member from SSS-DLN)
- Jianhong (Cecilia) Xia, Associate Professor and Discipline Lead of the Spatial Sciences, Curtin University (Independent member from SSS-DLN)
- Stuart Phinn, Professor University of Queensland/CRC SmartSAT (Independent member from SSS-DLN).
We look forward to providing you an update on this important work soon.
Finally, a big thank you also to everyone who put in an expression of interest. Creating a more diverse and inclusive sector is a tireless cause that requires many volunteers, advocates and champions and we sincerely hope we can call on you in the future to support this important work.
On behalf of the Convenors Group
Amelia (Chapman) Davies
The above message was shared with the Space, Spatial & Surveying Diversity Leaders Network (SSS-DLN) on the 26 November, 2020.